As a former prosecutor with more than 20 years of experience, I know firsthand how much pressure the district attorney puts on prosecutors to seek convictions for DUI, DWI and OUI charges and serious traffic violations. Kennebunk, Portsmouth and surrounding communities demand tight control of their streets. Too often, that also means that police make mistakes when aggressively patrolling for possible violators.
A Lawyer Who Has Been On Both Sides Of DUI/OUI/DWI And Traffic Violations Cases
If you have been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI), under the influence (DUI) or operating under the influence (OUI) of drugs or alcohol in Kennebunk, Portsmouth or surrounding communities, call me, criminal defense attorney Albert Hansen, as soon as possible. I will start to work immediately for protecting your rights. Over the last 20+ years, I have received specialized training in the area of field sobriety tests (the same training the police receive), including from nationally recognized experts Tony Corroto and Anthony Palacios, drugged driving, and breath and blood testing through the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, as well as the National College for DUI Defense.
How a strong drunk driving defense case progresses:
- Helping you get your license reinstated. Upon your arrest, your driver's license may be automatically suspended until reinstated on a temporary basis by an administrative hearings examiner, independent the outcome of your criminal case. I will help you challenge the administrative suspension.
- Investigating the circumstances of the traffic stop. Police need reasonable cause to pull you over. If they cannot demonstrate a sound reason for suspecting you of DUI, OUI or DWI, you may have your charges dismissed or reduced.
- Challenging the police officer's interpretation of the field sobriety test. [ Read more about the field test here.] Officers at a traffic stop are supposed to follow a standard procedure for administering and interpreting the results on the scene. Many don't get it right.
- Challenging the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test. We may challenge the BAC test procedures and custody of evidence. Whether you were given the breath, blood or urine test, police are under strict regulations designed to protect your rights. Any errors regarding administering the test or processing the results may be a violation of your rights and result in evidence being thrown out.
- Fighting for a reduced penalty. [ Read more about DUI penalties here] Sometimes, accepting a plea arrangement is your only legal option. Maine and New Hampshire penalties for OUI and DWI/DUI convictions are among the strictest in the nation. I have earned respect among prosecutors and will work aggressively to make sure the penalties you receive are minimized. Whenever possible, I work toward an outcome that will avoid a conviction on your record.
Licensed in New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts, with offices in Kennebunk, Maine and Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Other Serious Traffic Violations
A speeding ticket, reckless driving or driving to endanger charge can cost you more than just the price of the fine. Under the New Hampshire and Maine point system, you can face a driver's license suspension, increased auto registration fees and higher insurance premiums after just two tickets. Is it always worth it to fight a moving violation in court? No. But if you have good reason to fight, I will aggressively protect your driving record and license.
Learn more at my DWI/OUI Cases page.
Call Now · Licensed In Maine, New Hampshire And Massachusetts
I encourage you not to wait until Monday or tomorrow morning. Call me anytime, day or night, at (207) 467-3767 in Kennebunk or (603) 766-1970 in Portsmouth or send an email requesting a time we can meet to discuss your case.